25 December 2008

Christmas Cards

I decided to make a couple Christmas cards myself this year; one for my uncle Ed and one for my Grandma. It was a nice opportunity to try and get a paper cut-out style in Photoshop and look at some cool Golden Book illustration to inspire me.

This one was for my Uncle. I wasn't expecting the lettering to take as long to paint as the rest of the image, but it did. I also looked at some 50's art blogs and John K for inspiration on this.


And the rough lay-in done in Sketchbook:

And this one was for my Grandma. I wanted this scene to be a bit friendlier.


I couldn't decide if I wanted to make the lighting more consistent, or cheat it to make the colors bright. This is how it would look if I stayed more true to the light source (back lit). It makes the bag o' toys eaiser to differentiate but adds more complexity to the picture overall...

1 comment:

Henry Ho said...

hey micah, my email is henry_h86@yahoo.com